It Worked!

Well, it worked! Last fall I wrote a post about yard clean up and mentioned how overwintering my pond plants was an issue. My pond is far too shallow and freezes over completely. I usually drain it as much as possibly to help preserve the liner.

Pond plants are not inexpensive. In fact they are usually $10+. So replacing them each year is costly. As well, when you purchase new plants each year, they usually are small and haven’t the benefit of a year or two of growth. My basement is not cool enough to store bulbs, nor do I want to deal with the humidity or possible insect issues that come with overwintering pond plants. ┬áMy idea was to dig a trench in a garden bed and sink a few pond plants into the trench. I buried them and added a layer of bark mulch on top. Once the ground was thawed, I started digging in. I have to be honest, I did not hold much hope that anything would survive, but you can’t imagine my excitement when I uncovered a green leaf; a very healthy green leaf. It was the Red Leaf Dock growing away under the soil.

I can’t report the cat tail or lily made it, but the dock did. It has given me hope that I don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars each year just stocking my pond with plants. However, the plant may have survived due to a very mild winter, but I fully intend to try my experiment again this Fall to see what else can survive.

One thought on “It Worked!”

  1. Just an update on this post, I later was working in the flower bed and my trowel hit something hard. To my surprise I had yet another pond plant growing away in the cool soil. I had forgotten how many plants I had buried and must be more committed to keeping detailed gardening notes from year to year. All in all, it was a happy surprise and that plant is growing quite nicely alongside the Dock that survived.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *